Tuesday 25 September 2007

Smith after NZ job

Sunday 23rd September 2007

Former New Zealand coach and current All Blacks assistant Wayne Smith has joined the list of potential successors to Graham Henry.

Henry is likely to return to Wales after the World Cup, with Cardiff Blues believed to be the likely destination for the former Wales coach.

Steve Hansen, who replaced Henry as Wales coach in 2002, is favourite to land the All Blacks job, but ex-Northampton Saints chief Smith, who led the Kiwis for a short spell in 2000, has revealed his interest in the role.

"I want to coach the team I love but I'm realistic enough to know other people make those decisions," he told The Sunday News.

"My family and I are pretty keen to stay in New Zealand if we can, so that will be my focus.

"But I'm not concerned about it - I want to do my best for this team now. Hopefully we're successful and we'll see what the future holds.

"I've got an agreement with the NZRU as have the other coaches that we're not concerned about any decisions.

"We're just here to win the World Cup and then the future will look after itself. That's been our whole focus, we haven't discussed any future situations."

Hansen, Crusaders' Robbie Deans and Waikato's ex-Wasps and Ireland tactician Warren Gatland are also leading candidates.

www.planetrugby.com

No comments: