Friday 28 September 2007

Carter keen to make some breaks

28/09/2007
NZPA
Having landed 22 from his 26 shots before Scotland, it would be unfair to say Carter is in a kicking slump.

More accuracy wasn't top of the Carter priority list ahead of his second consecutive start, against Romania at Le Stadium here tomorrow.

Statistics don't register in a big way when he is assessing his own goalkicking form.

"Obviously they're reasonably important but I prefer just to get a feeling that `oh yeah, I kicked well today, I was striking the ball well', rather than stats and things like that," Carter said.

Even better for the confidence levels was his impact in general play, where his early inspiration was highly-skilled Canterbury predecessor Andrew Mehrtens.

More recently Australian counterpart Stephen Larkham is another whose ability is held in high regard.

"He knows when to kick and when to run and he's got a great pass that gives the guys outside a lot of space," said Carter, who was quizzed on whether he had the ability and potential to take this tournament by the scruff of the neck.

"A bit of natural talent got me to where I am but I'm hitting the next level where opponents know a lot about my game... I haven't really attacked the line as much as I would have liked.

"I haven't made some decent runs for a while so I'd like to bring that to my game at some stage."

No comments: