Friday 28 September 2007

Alonso vows to stay with McLaren

World champion Fernando Alonso says he sees no reason to leave McLaren at the end of this season despite his frosty relationship with team boss Ron Dennis.

The pair have not spoken since a row at the Hungarian Grand Prix in August.

But the Spaniard, who is in the first year of a three-year contract, said: "For next year I have a contract with this team and I don't see any problem.

"I have won four races and I'm fighting for the championship so everything is going quite well and I'm happy."

Dennis described Alonso as a "remarkable recluse for a driver" at a hearing into the spy saga and claimed that he had not been on speaking terms with the Spaniard since the beginning of August.

But Alonso, who had been linked with a move either to Ferrari or back to Renault, said he was concentrating only on the championship battle.

Chasing his third title in a row, the 26-year-old said he was keen to do his talking on the track though as the season reaches its climax.

He is two points behind team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the standings with three races, in Japan this weekend, China and Brazil, remaining.

"I have been working with the engineers, the mechanics, with everybody from the start of the season, until now with the same relationship," said Alonso, 26.

"They are all very professional, very focused on doing the best we can and we are achieving good results.

"About the spying, I have nothing to say. I will try to speak on the track and try to do my job.

"I really think that many of the things that have been said about the spying and about me are totally wrong and not the truth.

"But these things happen and I will not answer every day what they have been saying about me, I will not lose time on that.

"I cannot be every day and every week answering rumours telling my version of the truth to anyone.

"So at the moment, I am completely focused on the last three races and that is the truth."

www.bbc.com

No comments: