Monday 17 September 2007

Crouch happy at Liverpool

By Lewis Rutledge Last updated: 17th September 2007

Striker insists he is committed to Reds

Peter Crouch has insisted he is ready to fight for his place at Liverpool.

The striker was included in the starting line-up for Liverpool's clash with Portsmouth on Saturday, but had few chances to make an impact and was withdrawn with 30 minutes to go.

He is aware there is fierce competition for places up front, with Fernando Torres and Andrei Voronin beginning their Anfield careers brightly and Dirk Kuyt also at the club.

But the England international is determined to show Rafa Benitez that he deserves to be a permanent fixture in the side.

"It has been frustrating," he said in The Sun. "Every footballer wants to play and the manager has told me it's not possible to be involved in every game.

"We have four strikers and the manager says if he feels one player will cause more problems than another in a specific game, he will pick him.

"But obviously Fernando Torres is more likely to play than the rest of us after the club paid so much money for him.

"Fernando has settled in straight away and proved what a top striker he is. Now it's up to me to do the same when I get my chance."

Ready for rotation

Crouch admits he has found Benitez's rotation policy difficult to adjust to, but maintains that he has no plans to leave Liverpool.

"I have had to change my way of thinking since I joined Liverpool," he explained.

"You have to expect rotation. It can be frustrating at times but I fully understand the manager's thinking and, if called upon, I must make sure I'm ready.

"I might not be playing every week but I'll still get a good amount of games, so I'm happy at Liverpool.

"We're going to be challenging for the Premier League, the Champions League, the FA Cup and the Carling Cup and I want to be a part of that."

www.skysports.com

No comments: