Wednesday 4 June 2008

Carter stoked to get a taste of both worlds

By DUNCAN JOHNSTONE in Wellington - RugbyHeaven | Wednesday, 04 June 2008

Dan Carter's happy to be a guinea pig for the new sabbatical rules and believes he can handle the demands that come with playing in both hemispheres. But he stresses he's expecting no selection favours from the All Blacks next year.

Carter confirmed he is close to sealing a deal with the New Zealand Rugby Union to stay in the black jersey through to the 2011 World Cup.

He's also weighing up the options from two northern hemisphere clubs that will almost certainly see him playing in Europe after this year's All Blacks schedule is completed.

That would make him the first high-profile player released to go overseas to experience a new rugby culture - and earn the associated mega-dollars - and then return to national duties under the sabbatical programme the NZRU is set to endorse.

Carter, preparing to open the new international season with the All Blacks against Ireland in Wellington, admitted he had a lot on his mind in recent times.

"It has been tough. Obviously it's been a decision I've been thinking about for a while," he told a media throng in the capital.

"I've gone over my options and I guess I've come to a stage where I'm keen to commit to playing and re-signing with New Zealand.

"I'm extremely excited with that. Obviously we are still working with the NZRU in terms of sorting out a contract and things like that. But from our end it's extremely positive."

Carter admitted high profile French club Toulon, coached by former All Blacks skipper Tana Umaga and stacked with Kiwis and other internationals, was one option for his sabbatical.

"There's another one but I'd prefer to keep from disclosing that till I make a decision.

But I'll be looking at talking to Tana in the next couple of days so that I have has much information as I can before I make a decision.

"I'd like to make a decision in the next couple of weeks ... sooner rather than later."

Carter admitted that the New Zealand connection at Toulon was comforting for a short term stay in the French scene that could be over within six months, returning him to New Zealand in time for next year's internationals.

"I think it would make the transition a lot easier having some familiar faces around. That's the sort of things I'm weighing up at this stage. But that is definitely a positive when thinking about Toulon."

Carter said if he took up the European deal he expected to be treated no differently to other New Zealand players when it came to All Blacks selection.

"It will be a little bit different because it hasn't happened before. Obviously coaches and selectors will have to look at my form overseas. I don't expect to be just selected in the All Blacks on merit. I'd have to be playing well if I was to play overseas."

He realises he's about to step on a rugby treadmill that hasn't been tried by a leading New Zealand player before.

He's already been training and playing since January and with a French deal filling in his usual off-season, he could be going pretty much through to the end of 2009.

"I'm pretty confident I could handle it. I don't see it as playing 18 months straight. You do get time off. For example the end of Tri-Nations you get three or four weeks off and even in the Tri-Nations you get a couple of weeks off at some stage.

"It's a matter of making the most of those times and clearing your head, getting away and getting a mental break. It will be a challenge but it's something I have to work through."

Carter believed the sabbatical was a step in the right direction as New Zealand looks at unique ways to try to counter the massive player drain heading north to the big pay cheques on offer up there.

"I think it's good that the NZRU are looking at other options. It's a bit of a stepping stone for them.

"I think six months is about as long as you could do over there. I guess I'll test the waters a little bit and then after that I'll get a better gauge on what it's like because I love playing here in New Zealand and playing the Super 14.

"I'd like to think that I'll come back to the Crusaders. That is still home for me. I'd be pretty confident I'd go back down south."

Having been part of two unsuccessful World Cup campaigns Carter made it clear that he has unfinished business in New Zealand rugby.

"I love playing for the All Blacks and that's pretty much the main reason why I'm looking to re-sign and play here in New Zealand. The All Blacks jersey still does hold a lot for me and there are certain challenges that I want to achieve in the next few years."

No comments: